Let’s Chat - Stammer




stammer

stamə/
verb

verb: stammer; 3rd person present: stammers; past tense: stammered; past participle: stammered; gerund or present participle: stammering

1.    1.

speak with sudden involuntary pauses and a tendency to repeat the initial letters of words.

"he turned red and started stammering"

synonyms:
stutter, speak haltingly, stumble over one's words, hesitate, falter, fumble for words, pause, halt, mumble, splutter
"he always began to stammer when he was under pressure


I have a stammer. It pretty much rules my life and I am constantly aware of it, it debilitates me and causes me anxiety, stress and slight depression sometimes. It’s a nightmare but I can positively say it’s getting better, slowly but surely.

The basics of having a stammer is that I can’t speak fluently. It’s worse when I am tired, stressed or speaking on the phone. I can’t explain or tell when it will rear its ugly head. I can go days without stammering then suddenly I can’t say my own name.

I can say I would be a different person without a stammer, I think I would be outgoing, loud, annoying and happy, because of my stammer I am shy, quiet, nervous and sad.

However, in the past 2 years it has greatly improved, I completed my Masters Degree and I have been working in a very social career over these 2 years which has forced me to get on with it. Social drinks, lunches and dinners still cause me massive anxiety and I never want to go but I do and because of this, my stammer is okay. I can deal with it. It hides 90% of the time now and I am grateful.

Some people don’t even know I have a stammer, I never stammer with my boyfriend but do with my parents. It’s weird and unpredictable.

So many people have a stammer, an abundance of celebrities do including Emily Blunt, Marilyn Munroe, Rowan Atkinson, Bruce Willis and Samuel L Jackson which is crazy as they are all actors and actresses.

If you have a stammer then please don’t worry, it will get better! Leave me a comment if you have one so we don’t all feel alone.

Comments

Popular Posts